Forums » News and Announcements

idnt start in the division series sweep

• 2963 posts
    August 10, 2018 7:11 AM PDT

Go inside the numbers and matchups that will decide Monday nights game, and then vote for which team will win at the bottom of the page. Cheap NFL Jerseys Authentic .What we learned in Game 2Josh Tomlin was very good, Andrew Miller struck out five of the six batters he faced, and Cody Allen threw a 1-2-3 ninth as the Indians beat the Blue Jays 2-1, taking the first two games. Indians pitchers have 25 strikeouts in the first two games.?-- David SchoenfieldInside the pitching matchupWhen?Marcus Stroman?is on the mound:?Stroman started the wild-card game against the Orioles, giving up two runs in six innings with six strikeouts and no walks, but didnt start in the division series sweep of the Rangers. Stroman is fun to watch, a short righty with a six-pitch repertoire. He has gone to his sinker and cutter more this year, throwing those pitches more than 50 percent of the time, while mixing in his fastball, curve, slider and changeup. His game is all about keeping the ball down and getting grounders -- he had the highest ground ball rate of any qualified starter in the majors. He has been very good his past 14 starts, posting a 3.23 ERA and giving up eight home runs in 89? innings.Against the Orioles, Stroman threw 44 percent cutters and 32 percent sinkers, not throwing a single four-seam fastball. He had a similar game plan against the Indians back in August, throwing just one fastball against them in 100 pitches. During the season he threw his fastball 22 percent of the time, but hes at his best when the sinker is working or the cutter gets in on lefties. --?SchoenfieldWhen?Trevor Bauer?is on the mound:?Bauer was scheduled to start Game 2 before cutting his right pinkie finger fixing his drone, requiring stitches and forcing the Indians to push him back to this game. Yes, this never happened to Sandy Koufax or Bob Gibson. As Buster Olney wrote the other day, aside from how Bauer will be able to pitch with the stitches, another issue that could potentially pop up is if the stitches start bleeding and blood gets on the ball and whether the umpires will view that as a foreign substance.The good news for the Indians is that Bauer wont need to go deep into the game. Outside of Andrew Miller and Cody Allen, the bullpen has barely been used, with Bryan Shaw pitching 2 2/3 innings and Dan Otero one inning. Well almost certainly see Otero, who had a 1.53 ERA, and perhaps Zach McAllister and Jeff Manship.As for Bauer, he had one hot streak through early July, but finished with a 4.26 ERA, including 6.39 in September. He went 4 2/3 innings in his playoff start against the Red Sox, finishing with six strikeouts and no walks but serving up two home runs on a night the ball was flying at Progressive Field -- as it often does. Bauer allowed 15 of his 20 home runs at home, although the ball also tends to fly out at Rogers Centre.Bauer works off a fastball that averages 93.2 mph, preferring to work middle-away to both lefties and righties. He works up in the zone with the fastball, which led to a .447 slugging percentage allowed on the pitch. You know Blue Jays hitters will be looking to feast off some of those high fastballs. He adds a curveball, cutter and changeup, with the curveball his go-to wipeout pitch -- batters hit .134/.145/.221 with a 45 percent strikeout rate against it.Player in the spotlightJose Bautista. Hes hitless in his past 14 at-bats after starting the postseason with home runs his first two games. He hit just .223 against fastballs this year so lets see if Bauer and the bullpen challenge him with hard stuff. -- SchoenfieldDid you know ...Bauer faced the Blue Jays twice in the regular season, holding Toronto to a .476 OPS against his fastball, his lowest OPS against any team that he faced multiple times. Just 3.2 percent of his fastballs were hard-hit by the Blue Jays, and they missed on 28 percent of those pitches, all his best marks. -- ESPN Stats & InformationWhat will decide Monday nights gameBauer getting the Blue Jays to chase breaking stuff. Bauer threw just 78 pitches in his only start this postseason, 27 of which (35 percent) were breaking balls. Bauer used his breaking ball on fewer than 20 percent of pitches during the regular season. Despite the small sample size in the postseason, batters chased 50 percent (8 of 16) of his breaking balls outside the strike zone. Will Bauer adjust his approach against the Blue Jays? Toronto swung at 26 percent of breaking balls outside the strike zone during the regular season, the lowest chase rate in the majors against the pitch. -- ESPN Stats & InformationChoosing sides: Who will win?? Torontos slug-happy lineup was a no-show during the two games in Cleveland, but the Blue Jays will be reinvigorated by a return to Rogers Centre. The Stroman-Bauer matchup is advantageous for Toronto, and the Jays offense will do enough to grind out a win and climb back in the series. -- Jerry CrasnickThe Blue Jays will finally start hitting Monday night. They always hit better at Rogers Centre and against the droned Bauer, it probably will continue to be that way. Toronto has too good of an offense to stay down for too much longer. I think they will get to Bauer and hand the Indians their first loss of the postseason. -- Andrew MarchandWhere the series standsOnly one team -- the 2004 Red Sox -- has rallied from a 3-0 series deficit, so this one certainly has a must-win feel to it for the Blue Jays, especially with Terry Francona threatening to bring Corey Kluber back in Game 4.?--?Schoenfield Cheap NFL Jerseys Wholesale . -- Matt Ryan needed one of the best games of his career to lead the Falcons and their depleted offence out of their three-game losing streak last week. Cheap NFL Jerseys Stitched . Thousands of fans at Mosaic Stadium will be cozying up to each other in an effort to stay warm in chilly temperatures and block the Prairie wind that locals say can knock your socks off. http://www.cheapjerseysfastshipping.com/ . -- Hunter Smith scored the winner with just 12 seconds remaining in the third period as the Oshawa Generals edged the host Sarnia Sting 5-4 on Friday in Ontario Hockey League action. AKRON, Ohio -- Only four players have finished in the top 30 at each of the PGA Tours five biggest tournaments so far this calendar year.One of them is Dustin Johnson, the recently crowned U.S. Open champion, who is playing arguably the most consistent golf of any elite player in the game. Another is Louis Oosthuizen, the past Open Championship winner, who tends to play his best golf at the most opportune times. Then theres Jason Day, the worlds No. 1-ranked golfer, who seemingly plays his best golf all the time.The fourth member of this quartet? Well, his image might not spring to mind right away when considering the best players at the best tournaments, but Scott Piercy is starting to make that kind of name for himself.For some reason, I thought I should be there now, Piercy said in trying to explain these performances. I always feel like I should be there. Its a matter of doing it.So far, he has been doing it.There was a T-17 finish at the WGC-Cadillac Championship; a T-18 at the WGC-Dell Match Play; a T-29 at the Masters; a T-23 at the Players Championship; and the best result of his career at a big-time tourney, a share of second place at the U.S. Open two weeks ago.All of which should make Piercys position entering the final round of this weeks WGC-Bridgestone Invitational all-too-familiar territory.Following rounds of 69-69-67, Piercy is tied for the lead with Day, searching for a breakthrough victory that would serve as the biggest of his lengthy PGA Tour career.His first win came at the Reno-Tahoe Open -- opposite this weeks Bridgestone event -- five years ago. He tacked on a Canadian Open title the next year and a win at the Barbasol Championship last year -- another opposite-field tourney.A triumph here at Firestone Country Club on Sunday, though, would clearly trump the others, as far as status.After I won in Canada, he explained, I kind of felt like the next step was to win a WGC or a major, then I got hurt (with an elbow injury) after that, so I kind of regressed. Then I came back and I won an opposite field. So hopefully the next step is kind of getting back. I feel like a better player now than I was when I got hurt. Any time you can win a WGC event, I think it takes things to a new level.He has alreaddy started to reach that level.dddddddddddd Piercy was ranked 114th in the world at this time last year, but is currently 43rd -- and will take another major leap with another strong finish.If theres some irony to his consistent play at the biggest events this season, its that he has yet to seriously contend anywhere, other than that U.S. Open runner-up. He finished 3 strokes behind Johnson that week, leaving Oakmont with more positive vibes than negative ones.I was really excited about the finish, and the fact that the second major in a row Ive been in the top five going into the weekend and held up under the pressure of it, he said. Overall, it was all good. We can always make things a little bit better it seems like, but overall I was really excited.That would offer some confidence in being paired with the games top-ranked player in the final round.Much of that stems from last years BMW Championship, when Piercy was also paired with Day in the final round. Although his playing partner ran away with the title that day, Piercy birdied his final four holes to finish in sole possession of third place and clinch a spot in the Tour Championship.Has really good length off the tee; hes a good ball striker; and then when he gets hot on the putting green, thats when he wins tournaments, Day said in his scouting report. Hes not scared to shoot a low one. Hes not scared to go up against the best and play well. I cant worry about him. Ive got to worry about myself and try to hit fairways and greens tomorrow, so thats the biggest thing for me is to really find something there and hopefully be there by the end of the day.Day might not be worried about Piercy, but Piercy wont be worried about Day, either. Hes experienced enough in these situations, playing alongside world-class players, that he knows he belongs.Ive won three times, Piercy said. I know I can do it. Its just doing it on a consistent basis like a Jordan [Spieth] or a Jason and those guys. Can I do it? Yeah. Its just, consistently, can I do it more often?During Sundays final round, he might start finding out the answer to his own question. Cheap MLB Jerseys cheap jerseys Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping cheap nfl jerseys Cheap Jerseys USA China Jerseys Cheap NFL Authentic Jerseys Cheap Jerseys For Sale Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Jerseys Cheap NBA Jerseys ' ' '